Skip to main content

In recent weeks, rumours have suggested that Samsung could skip using its own Exynos chipsets for its top-end smartphones, over Qualcomm's Snapdragon counterparts.

On the occasion of the announcement of its strong financial results, Qualcomm notify that it will be found inside all of Samsung's top smartphones worldwide, as part of a broad agreement.

"The way you have to think about it is that Snapdragon chips will be in a range of Samsung products like the top-of-the-line Galaxy series smartphones," Qualcomm CEO Cristiano Amon said in response to a question during the financial results announcement.

"And what I can say at this point is that we were at 75% of Galaxy S22s shipped worldwide before the new deal. You have to think that we will be much better in this area from the Galaxy S23 onwards. This is a multi-year deal. And that's probably all I can tell you. You should know that we will be inside all of their devices globally," said the Qualcomm CEO. 

The 75% figure Amon quoted is the percentage of Galaxy S22 series smartphones released with the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chipset. The remaining 25% of S22 devices were based on Samsung's own Exynos 2200 SoC and released mostly in Europe, with worse performance in comparison, which has caused controversy.

In any case, the news comes as part of a wider deal between Samsung and Qualcomm. The chipmaker said the deal includes a patent licensing agreement for 3G, 4G, 5G and 6G technologies. Qualcomm added that based on the agreement, Samsung will adopt the use of Snapdragon chipsets in other product categories such as computers, tablets, extended reality systems, etc.

Source :